What is this Stone Artifact?

Got an object and don't know where it's from? or what it does? post it here!
Curl

What is this Stone Artifact?

Post by Curl »

I acquired this stone carving from a fellow collector (after years of asking), and he got it from an African dealer who did not know what it was but said it came from North Africa. I knew the piece was old and was fascinated with it's unknown origin and use. I have had it now for 8 years (and my friend had it for close to 10 yrs.) and still have no idea what it is. What I do know is that there is a snake carved on either side of the piece, a 7 point star on one end and a hollow opening on the other that has a lip where a possible plug or covering once was. The inside of the hole smells like wax. So, I have theorized that it contained rope dipped in wax that could be remove and strung through the small hole at the top of the piece. I have placed a rope through it and hung it and amazingly it balances perfect. The hanging point is off center (closer to the hollow end) in order to compensate for the hollow side versus the solid side that bares the 7 point star. The patina is obvious but I could not guess at the age. I have let several knowledgeable collectors look at it and sent pictures to several others and no one has a clue. Please Help... thank you!

PS: This is my first time on this site and I don't know why all of my pictures are flipped sideways... my apologies!
Attachments
Stone 1.jpeg
Stone 2.jpeg
Stone 3.jpeg
S4.jpeg
S7.jpeg
S6.jpeg
S5.jpeg
S3.jpeg

Julien

Re: What is this Stone Artifact?

Post by Julien »

Hi Curl!,

I am very sorry I can't place it! I showed it to some people and the general thought is that it is probobly from West Africa .. Mali .. perhaps Djenne.
Curl

Re: What is this Stone Artifact?

Post by Curl »

Thank you for helping me. Much appreciated!